Friday, May 2, 2014

Here we go....

I have been making an effort to get back on track.  Since I posted last I have moved back to Minnesota and am living with family as I prepare our new house to move in to.  I just thought I would jot a few recent thoughts down...

Well... one thought.

Last week or so there was a little construction going on in the house I am staying in.  The way the house is built, there is a lip of cement around the outside and there is a gap between that and the earth.  A pile of muddy soil was moved from one part of the farm over to the house to fill it in.  A serious effort was made to ensure that none of the half wild farm cats that roam that area were anywhere near it, or at the least had been evicted.

This last week has been cold and wet and rainy and wet and rainy.  I doubled up on the words on purpose.  No one was out walking around to hear anything or see anything until today.

Our oldest daughter was frantic.  She heard a cat where there shouldn't be one.  We searched and came up with theories.  We opened up the dryer vent.  No cat.  Looked into the window wells.  No cat.  The last theory was that somehow a cat got under when the dirt was being moved.  A half hour of digging wet, clay-mud and I could see the cat.  It crawled out, and ran its ungrateful and undernourished self away as fast it could.

Part of me felt that it was stupid to do all this for some cat.  Part of me thought that maybe that this is what the difference is between people.  How much worth is a life?  Did the fact that this cat would rather kill me in my sleep than do... most any other thing to me matter in the end?

Also, I wonder where all the dirt goes.  That hole that took a half hour of digging to make tooke 5 minutes to fill, but it wasn't as filled as it was before.  Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment